Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tuesday

I took it easy most of yesterday. No angina, fast heart rate but not too fluttery. Had an interview with the new nurse, Christina. She knocked and barged into my room, earning a scowl and a lecture on privacy. The other nurse had already agreed to being respectful of my privacy, but this one was obviously reluctant to agree not to just come in when she wanted. There's a care mentality at work here, I think. Like in a hospital, nurses don't knock. But this is also a residence, of course. The old folks may or may not object to this sort of thing, but I certainly do. Another angle is that many of the seniors may not be able to answer the door easily. Still, I can.

Anyhow, the gist of the interview was my medications. The staff were unprepared for the idea that I would manage most of them myself. Normally, they manage all the meds. But the place charges a lot for each tier you go up in number. I'm signed on for four meds, because one to four is the lowest tier. The next one, five to ten, costs another 300 bucks a month. Anyhow, although they were caught flat footed, there is in fact a policy that covers that. It requires that the nurse come up and make sure the resident is competent to manage the meds. This involves questions like "what year is it?" and "what does my (analog) watch say?" Also you have to read the label off one prescription and explain what to do when you run out. I also had to demonstrate how I go about injecting myself with Lovanox, the blood thinner I'm taking until the coumedin kicks in. (Pour powder into spoon, add water, cook briefly, suck it into the syringe, tie off, inject - the usual) Finally she made me promise to keep the meds in the lock box, saying they'd confiscate them if they found them outside. The problem that's meant to solve is a confused old person wandering in and swallowing all your pills.

One other thing she wanted me to do was to walk in the hallway. It was presented as not optional. I told her I was resting. I said the last time I overdid it, I ended up calling 911. I said my normal practice was to walk a mile or more every day, but as long as I had this enormous painful bruise running from my groin to my knee, I was going to have difficulty with that. I also pointed out that I would be going four days a week to the outpatient psych program, where I would be exercised and put away wet. She decided not to flog that horse.

I have mixed feelings on the regimentation. I have to sign out and in. I have to be here at 8:00 AM, 5:00 PM and 8:00 PM every day for meds. If I don't come down for meals, they'll come get me. They will try to force me into activities, most of which I won't want to participate in. (Some are fine, like the computer lessons and the movies. Blackjack seems fun too. Tai Chi is not, nor is Bingo.) All this forces me to deal with other people on a daily, scheduled basis. It means that if I start having insomnia, an important symptom of incipient depression for me, they are going to know about it. It's like what the AA oldtimer said when the new guy accused him of brainwashing. "Yes, and your brain could use it." On the other hand, I bristle at the egregious examples of powerlessness, like the casual invasion of privacy. On balance, I think it's a good thing. And it's temporary, of course.

I'm getting to know my table mates at meals. There's Juanita, a nice septuagenarian, who is a bit silly. She listens to Vicki, the youngest woman in the place - my age - make catty remarks about just about everyone, and commiserates. There's Bill, who is close to 90 and suffering from the beginning stages of dementia. Dick is a nice fellow, who told us all today that he had liver cancer. He'd known since November, but hadn't revealed it until this evening. Finally there's Gale, who still has most of his mental faculties. He has a dry sense of humor and is fun to talk to. They have all adopted me into their circle.

Around 7:30, I took a walk across the street in the city park. I made a slow circuit around the place. It's very pleasant and the weather was great - cooling off. I have lived near here for 9 years and I never once went to this park. I actually worked 50 yards away - I can see the rooftop parking lot from my balcony - yet I didn't know the park was there. Between the park and the town - and the rest of the area available through Caltrain - I think I'm going to really enjoy my time off here, once I'm back up to speed physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment